Friday, May 4, 2012

My Five-Point Methodology

When examining recipes, food labels and menu options, I use the following five-point methodology. Not every CF patient or parent might agree with my process but wanted to be clear about it on this blog.

1. I look for foods that are high in calories, fat and sodium but are low(er) in carbohydrates. Patients with CF have an approximately 50% chance of developing CFTR-related diabetes. However, Type II diabetes in the general population has been shown to develop over time with poor diet and exercise habits. While the mechanisms behind CFTR-related diabetes are different, we figure it might help to delay the onset in Lil Guy.
2. When examining a high-carb option, I prefer for it to have a little (or a lot) of fiber in it to aid with nutrition and digestion.
3. I avoid products containing artificial food dyes and here is why.
4. Whenever possible, I avoid using canned ingredients for cooking and here is why.
5. Where possible, I try really really hard to buy organic (and here is why) but I'll be the first to admit we're not very good at that. We live in an urban environment and it's really hard to find organic options at the grocery stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment